Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Continent images

I'm currently doing some code cleanup before starting working on the river and erosion code. Since that yields no interesting pictures, I though I'd share a couple examples of other output I'd produced during some testing since my last post on the topic.


First off, while erosion is upcoming work, I did implement a basic elevation smoothing algorithm. After the elevation map is generated based upon the plate pseudo-motions at boundaries, three iterations of smoothing are applied to the elevation, and then a "max" operation is applied between the elevation results pre-smoothing and post-smoothing.  That max operation restores the peaks and tiny islands, but leaves them with sloped land around them.  Some of the results can be seen below.

Three iterations of smoothing applied

Enlarged image of smoothing applied.

I also experimented with increasing the allowable range of motion for the hinge rotate operation.  I'm not really happy with the results generally speaking, but they did result in a nice mountain chain down the middle of the eastern land mass.  This led me to some more thoughts on how to manipulate the land plates before applying the elevation based upon plate pseudo-motion.


Experiments with "hinge rotate"


Enlarged view of altered "hinge rotate" results, showing two plates rotating into each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment