Thursday, November 3, 2016

If At First You Don't Succeed, Terrain, Terrain Again

So once again midnight creeped up and I was still busily writing code, so there's still no book review. [sigh]  I need to plan better.  Anyhow, I made a bit more progress.  The UI now has radio buttons, because I used them when I created the form for generating terrain using fractals.  Terrain and the auto-placed objects (trees) in the scene can be completely regenerated in different form at the touch of a few buttons (and a few seconds wait).

Terrain parameters form
As can be seen in the screenshot below, the terrains is less boring than what I showed in yesterday's post.  There are now flat areas, and mountainous ones, not merely an endless mixture of gently-rounded hills and valleys.
Heterogeneous fractional Brownian motion is varied
But I wasn't satisfied with just that.  I added some slope-based texturing.  I found the boundary between rock and other textures a bit too sharp, so I tried another approach as well.

Original slope-based texture.  Note sharpness of texture change at rock boundary.


Transitional blending between rock texture and other textures

No comments:

Post a Comment