Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Housekeeping

Just a few largely-unrelated comments/announcements:

I've figured out how to address the seam issue with the Globe program.  I was a bit under the weather and too busy with day job to finish it off, but expect an update within the next few days.

I recently finished reading The Russian Origins of the First World War by Sean McMeekin.  While I'm not sure I fully embrace every argument he makes, I think his general thesis that Russia bears at least as much blame for the outbreak of WWI as Germany is well supported.  I may post an in depth review next week.

At lunch I reread Ken Perlin's classic 1985 paper "An Image Synthesizer" and chapter 5 of F K Musgrave's dissertation, so I have a few more things I'm likely to try for planet generation, including non-Earth-like worlds.  I may have something along those lines available online in September. Incidentally, the "Pixel Stream Editor" Perlin described 31 years ago seems to bear a greats deal of functional resemblance to pixel/fragment shaders in modern 3D graphics architectures.

Now that I've finished the book I mentioned and refreshed my memory on the computer graphic topic, I resumed reading Mr. Kipling's Army: All the Queen's Men by Byron Farwell.  It covers the rather bizarre institution what was the British Army in the years between the end of the Napoleanic Wars and the start of WWI.  It reminds me of the (briefer) treatment of the Royal Navy found in Chapter 22: From Sail To Steam in Robert Massie's Dreadnought.  Maybe I'll write a review, maybe not.

And there will be more of Pandora's Gate soon.

And with that, I shall bid the world adieu for the night and seek a restful night's sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment