Saturday, December 2, 2017

Airstream Progress Report

As I've posted about before, I've been (very) slowly restoring an "ancient" Airstream travel trailer that was in fairly desperate condition.  The major aspect that's underway now is replacing the old, rotted floor, after which progress should be much more rapid.  As it is, I'm not at my best when crouching and kneeling, which doesn't help any.

The last of the old floor left the trailer months ago, but revealed that some of the aluminum floor joists had corroded in places.  I fabricated reinforcements back in late summer, half of which I installed before summer's end.  Then my mother's birthday, various yard work, stuff with Day Job, the Thanksgiving holiday, weather, etc. intervened. 

Finally, this week, the weather was cooperative.  Today, I riveted the rest of the reinforcing pieces to the original joists.  Tomorrow's forecast is promising, so I'll likely crawl under the trailer, put a few more rivets in from below, and install patches over the worst of the corrosion in the aluminum belly skin.

Progress.  It is nice to be making progress once more.  I'll try to remember to take some pictures to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment