Monday, November 28, 2016

Book Review: At the Sign of Triumph

It took me until several weeks after its release before I finally purchased a copy of the latest book in David Weber's Safehold series, At the Sign of Triumph.  Perhaps if Tor's e-book pricing was more reasonable I'd have picked up an electronic copy rather than waiting to visit a bookstore.  In any case, the book is quite hefty, but it is a good read.  It flows rather more readily than the previous tome in the series, which seemed to get bogged down in logistics at times.  There were a few points in the book where I found myself pausing for a moment to remember who the viewpoint characters were, but not often, and I'm perfectly happy that Weber left out the lengthy character list included in some volumes.

While the war itself seemed to get bogged down at times, the plot of the book moved along with greater alacrity than it had in the previous couple volumes.  In fact, without offering any real spoilers, it is fair to say that this book caps off the initial arc that begins with Off Armageddon Reef.  Not all of the mysteries that originated there or since have been clearly answered, but this volume marks a conclusion to that arc and ties up quite a few loose ends.  Still, it is a lengthy read.  Budget time or expect to take a while to finish it.

Overall, I was quite happy with the book.  It flowed well.  It contained scenes I loved.  Some dastardly foes received their just desserts.  There were outbreaks of sanity and self-interest among key characters.  It was lots of fun.  I dare say little more without spoiling it.  Let me just conclude that I felt it was worth every single penny I paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment