Wednesday, November 30, 2016

BBQ at Last!

On Monday, I mentioned that the local BBQ joints were all closed on Mondays.  In fact, most were also closed today, Tuesday, but luckily one was not.  Alas, it took me a while to find the Butt Shack BBQ restaurant, which recently relocated from Greenhills, Ohio (one of the Depression-era greenbelt towns) to Fairfield, OH.  It is located in the former location of Symmes Tavern on the Green.  Why did it take me a while to find it?

First, Google Maps has the location for that address off by about 1500 feet.  Second, the old Symmes Tavern on the Green signs are still up on the facade.  Third, the only signage for the Butt Shack is a banner, tied to a low fence - a few feet in front of which was a bench - and just beyond that were parked cars.  Not trying to make it easy to find, were they?

In any event, after I finally found it, I was quite pleased.  The same tasty menu was being served as at the old location.  Service was a bit chaotic - I think this was the start of their first full week of operation.  The food did arrive in a reasonable time frame - slower than at the old location, but reasonable enough.  However, I'd barely had time to take my second bite from the side salad when the beef brisket and cole slaw arrived.  The brisket was juicy and flavorful, and the spicy BBQ sauce complemented it well.  The cole slaw was decent but not spectacular.  All in all, it was a good meal, and I enjoyed it.  I suspect that as the staff gets a bit more experience the service will be less chaotic.

The new location is larger and full of natural light, but does take an extra five minutes to reach from work (assuming traffic lights cooperate), or 15 minutes from home.  This makes Pit-to-Plate BBQ in Mount Healthy a better choice when I'm craving BBQ and at home.  The Butt Shack is the only nearby BBQ place open on Tuesday, and is just as close to work, so I'm likely to visit both places.

Given the prevalence of chain restaurants, it's nice to be able to find a few good, local places that aren't chains.  I just know not to seek food at such places on Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment