Sunday, November 19, 2017

Book Review: Shikari

As I mentioned previously, I recently purchased and read Shikari, a new science fiction novel by Alma T. C. Boykin.  As I mentioned at the time, I enjoyed the novel.  It is set in the far future, on a distant colony world settled by humans before they realized their was an indigenous species of sophonts present.  These sophonts, the Stare, had a relatively primitive civilization, and welcomed the humans.  The story follows two human teenagers who begin to unlock secrets of the past that are a mystery to human and Stare alike, while dodging the ire of those who wish the past to remain buried.

The novel is a lot of fun.  The mood and setting are reminiscent of tales set in the India of the Raj.  Rudyard Kipling or Talbot Mundy (with aliens!) would not be a bad shorthand.  There's a sense of wonder, of the exotic, and of danger, in the story. 

Production values were good.  It was virtually free of typos or formatting issues to distract from the words themselves.  And in my opinion, the words, and story, flowed well.

I eagerly devoured the tale and was disappointed only in the fact that it came to an end.  Thankfully, Ms. Boykin appears to have several more in this series planned.  (Yay!)  I look forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment