Despite the heavy downpours, it was warm this evening, so the exposed steel has been primed. I also discovered the shock absorbers that are present are only connected to the steel frame, and not to any element of the rest of the suspension. The present leaf spring and axle arrangement doesn't even appear to have a place they could have connected to. So now I plan to remove them. That will make the space occupied by the leaf springs, axle, and wheels a bit less crowded, and prevent the "loose" shock absorbers from causing problems if they shift around. If I ever need them I can install fresh ones.
One upside of the downpours is that I've identified a few spots where more sealing is required, primarily around windows. With rain predicted for much of next week, I'm going to try to focus on that and the painting tomorrow. If time and weather permit, the wheel wells will be reinstalled Wednesday or Thursday, paving the way for the next sections of plywood to be installed.