Still, it works. That's enough to move forwards on getting the first real elevation onto the map. In the the first try, it was simply supposed to slope from the plate boundaries to the center of the plate, with the high (white) part being near the plate boundaries and the lower (black) part being away from the boundaries. It was definitely not supposed to result in land masses that resemble zebras.
|My continents look like zebras!|
A bit of of investigation and some trial and error led to a slightly different algorithm. It was better, but not complete. The continents are almost right for how the initial code was supposed to work, but all oceanic plate boundaries were turned into trenches, again with a (narrower) striping pattern.
|Correct, but incomplete|
|With collisions calculated at each border (boundary) cell|
This turned out to be not as effective as desired. The effects were utterly discontinuous, with gaps everywhere. So I replaced precise calculates with a plate vs. plate decision upon what the effect would be via a couple calls to the pseudo-random number generator (PRNG) for each plate combination. That proved much better, but was too uniform, and the "colliding" oceanic plates generated long islands that look like worms.
To deal with the uniformity I added some Perlin noise. You can see the impact of that below.
|Plates with noise|
|Islands, not worms!|
Until then, good night.